“Bradley Bale, MD, and Amy Doneen, DNP, are on the leading edge of prevention of heart attacks. I am a firm and vociferous believer in their prevention plan.”
– Tommy Thompson, Former U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services
Every 43 seconds, someone in the U.S. has a heart attack, and every four minutes, an American dies from a stroke. Very often, people who suffer these events were previously unaware that they had cardiovascular disease (CVD), the leading killer of men and women.
Standard care is based on checking patients for certain risk factors. However, about 50% of heart attacks and ischemic strokes happen to people with normal cholesterol levels—and some of these patients have none of the traditional risk factors.
We’ve been called “disease detectives” because the BaleDoneen® Method also uses advanced laboratory and imaging tests and a comprehensive, individualized assessment to directly check each patient for hidden signs of arterial disease or red flags signaling increased risk for developing it.
Two recent peer-reviewed studies have shown that our evidence-based, precision-medicine approach can halt, stabilize or reverse CVD, helping patients avoid heart attacks or strokes, even if they’ve already suffered one or more of these events.
A Six-Step Prevention Plan
The goal of the BaleDoneen Method is to find out if patients have plaque in their arteries and, if so, to halt its progression with the best evidence-based therapies. Our method is based on six dynamic elements, each of which is crucial for detecting and defeating the world’s most dangerous and wily predator: cardiovascular disease.
- Education: Understanding what causes heart attacks and strokes, plus the action steps needed to prevent these catastrophic events, empowers patients to make choices that lead to recovery and wellness.
- Disease: Identifying which patients have disease (plaque) in their arteries is essential, since this is a prerequisite for an event. Treatment decisions should be based on this information and the disease monitored over time.
- Fire: Events are sparked when disease becomes inflamed (fire). Think of plaque as kindling. Inflammation lights the match, causing the plaque to rupture explosively. We use a “fire panel” of tests to detect and monitor inflammation.
- Roots: To put out the fire in a patient’s arteries, it’s essential to identify and treat the cause. Without this knowledge, the disease frequently smolders until there is another event. Using techniques perfected by the BaleDoneen Method, we can determine the root causes and halt the disease.
- Optimal: Setting optimal, individualized goals for modifying each patient’s risk factors, rather than goals set by the standard of care based on average results from large studies, leads to superior outcomes and more effective heart attack and stroke prevention.
- Genes: Basing care on each patient’s unique genetic makeup is the ultimate in precision medicine. The BaleDoneen Method has used genetic testing for more than a decade, and remains on the cutting edge of this rapidly evolving field of medicine.