Feeling the sugar rush this holiday season? Us too, and it can be a lot! But let’s face it: Sometimes a sweet treat can be nice, especially when everyone around you is indulging in the seasonal goodies.
These naturally sweetened gingerbread bites hit that sweet spot, combining a hefty load of protein and healthy fat with fiber and holiday spice. They may be a healthier option, but trust us, they will be a hit with grown-ups and kids alike this holiday season.
Inspired by Jessica in the Kitchen food blog
Gluten free, vegan
Time: 15 minutes
Makes about 18-20 energy bites
1 cup whole cashews (or sub walnuts or almonds)
1 cup pitted medjool dates
1 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
pinch of sea salt
70% dark chocolate chips, melted (optional)
- Add all ingredients except the dark chocolate to a food processor and pulse or process until desired consistency is reached. The dough will be sticky and should start balling up.
- Add a spoonful of water if the dough isn’t starting to come together. You should be able to grab a bit of dough and form into a ball.
- Wet hands lightly and roll about 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball (about the size of a ping pong ball).
- Once you have made all the balls, put in the fridge for an hour and then enjoy!
- Optional step: Drizzle with melted dark chocolate or dip into melted chocolate for an extra sweet treat.